With budget planning underway, the Williams Education Association has proposed a salary schedule for the next school year.
The proposed schedules for certified and classified district staff members have the same base as the 2002-2003 schedule for the Flagstaff Unified School District, said Kristi Fredrickson, a WEA representative.
The 2003-2004 proposed schedule reflects a base salary for a starting teacher at $28,560 per year. The schedule shows a base hourly rate of pay for class one classified staff member of $7.91.
Currently, the base salary for a starting teacher is $23,000 annually. The base hourly rate of pay for class one classified staff member is $6.
WEA recommends that classroom aides who work with children be paid at the rate of a class three employee. The proposed base hourly rate of pay for a class three employee is $9.24. Presently classroom aides are classified as class one employees, said Fredrickson.
• The board accepted the retirement/resignation of Jimmy Cox, Juanita McFarland, John Miller and Gloria Avila. Board member Bruce Baker directed staff to honor those retiring, particularly Cox and McFarland, for their dedication to the district.
• The board accepted the resignation of middle school math teacher James Plummer.
• The board approved hiring substitute teachers Joseph Fredrickson, Colleen Whitehurst, Jeffrey Ellis, Ted Tonkinson, interim language arts teacher Karen Trovilion and special education aide Maria Aguilar.
• The board approved a two-year contract for WUSD Superintendent Susan Scherz.
• The board approved the time and date of the next regular board meeting. The board will hear presentations and board highlights at 6 p.m. The regular meeting will follow at 7 p.m. The meeting will be held April 9 at the Williams Elementary-Middle School library.