The Black Bridge will close to hiker traffic from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. starting today and going until about Nov. 20 while repairs are made on this key crossing over the Colorado River.
Weather permitting, work will begin this week.
Mule strings will continue to cross the Black Bridge, coordinating with the contractor.
Repair work will consist of painting the bridge abutments and replacing bridge cables.
Informational signs will be posted at the South Kaibab Trail and River Trail junction and at the North Kaibab and Bright Angel Trail junction, as well as at trailheads and Phantom Ranch.
Hikers using the South Kaibab Trail will need to follow the River Trail detour to the Silver Bridge to cross the river. The detour from the South Kaibab Trail to the Silver Bridge is approximately one mile.
For additional information regarding this project and temporary closure, contact Gil Gabaldon at 638-7907.
More like this story
- Kaibab Suspension Bridge closed to foot traffic for repairs; detours in place
- Colorado River Trail closed as rockslide repairs continue
- Colorado River Trail reopens to foot traffic after repairs
- NPS to repair Indian Garden Pump House and Black Bridge
- Rockslide closes Ribbon Falls and North Kaibab Trail at Redwall Bridge