Delaware North celebrates 40th anniversary

Ryan Williams/WGCN<br>
Current Delaware North employees gather for a photo. Front row left to right: Michelle Scarbrough, Patrick Roney, Kiril Kirkov, Brandi Beatley, Tip McBroom, Alberta Saavedra, Josie Trenchard, Samantha Volland, Robert McNully, Marc Volland. Second row left to right: Linette Jensen, Steven Pinscak, Daniel Reger, Barbara Berryman, Troy Kellet, Luis Saldana, Diane Young, Cendy Sangermano, Greg Kennedy, Diana Chapman. Third row left to right: Joyce Wiles, Jeremy Wiles, Jed Resse, Greg Walker.

Ryan Williams/WGCN<br> Current Delaware North employees gather for a photo. Front row left to right: Michelle Scarbrough, Patrick Roney, Kiril Kirkov, Brandi Beatley, Tip McBroom, Alberta Saavedra, Josie Trenchard, Samantha Volland, Robert McNully, Marc Volland. Second row left to right: Linette Jensen, Steven Pinscak, Daniel Reger, Barbara Berryman, Troy Kellet, Luis Saldana, Diane Young, Cendy Sangermano, Greg Kennedy, Diana Chapman. Third row left to right: Joyce Wiles, Jeremy Wiles, Jed Resse, Greg Walker.

GRAND CANYON, Ariz. - Grand Canyon's General Store has a long and storied history and celebrates 40 years in its current location on Friday.

As early as 1904, the Babbitt Brothers operated a tent curio stand at the Bright Angel Hotel, which was erected in 1896 on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. In 1921, the Babbitt Brothers Trading Company obtained the concession to operate a general store in Grand Canyon Village.

In 1926, construction began on a new store located across from Ranger Operations at a cost of $43,625. The building was later remodeled in 1928 and again in 1947 and 1954.

In 1969, construction began on a new General Store in its present location next to Yavapai Lodge. The 27,000 square foot structure cost $500,000 to build. A grand opening was held January 28, 1971. The old store building was used as a recreation center until it burned in 1994.

The general Store/Canyon Village Marketplace has undergone several remodels over the years.

• 1987 - Grocery backroom built on to existing structure.

• 2001 - Interior remodel. Fixtures, signage and paint receive update.

• 2003 - Deli remodeled.

• 2009 - Complete $1 million remodel.

Today, DNC Parks and Resorts operates the store as well as Desert View Marketplace and the Tusayan General Store just outside the park entrance.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.