GRAND CANYON, Ariz. - On May 22 at approximately 12:20 p.m., the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a visitor report of a man over the edge at Pipe Creek Vista located about one mile west of the junction of Desert View Drive and South Entrance Road.
Upon arriving at the scene, witnesses reported that they had seen a man fall over the edge. Unable to see anything from the rim, rangers rappelled over the edge and began finding evidence of a fall. At approximately 600 feet below the rim, rangers found a deceased male.
Using a mechanical advantage system, the body was lifted to the rim by rope. The body has been transferred to the Coconino County Medical Examiner. The name of the deceased is being withheld pending positive identification and notification of next of kin.
An investigation into the incident is being conducted by the National Park Service in cooperation with the Coconino County Medical Examiner.
More like this story
- Body of man recovered from below the South Rim of Grand Canyon identified
- UPDATE: Second accidental death reported in Grand Canyon National Park in 2019
- Rangers respond to report of someone over the edge at Grand Canyon
- Park Rangers recovered body from below rim of Grand Canyon near Lookout Studio
- Body discovered below Moran Point identified