Almost a century before the controversial Escalade tramway project was introduced, pioneers at Grand Canyon floated the idea of a rim-to-river tram as early as 1919. During the pioneer period, tramways were built to carry people, supplies and ore to and from mining claims in the canyon.
More like this story
- Escalade Project to go before Navajo Council
- Navajo Nation proposes aerial tram from East Rim to floor of Grand Canyon
- Naabik’iyati’ Committee votes down Escalade bill 14-2, moves bill to Navajo council
- Grand Canyon tram proposal sparks ire, awe from Navajo Nation to Germany
- Navajo Nation Council says no: 16-2 vote kills Escalade development