Helen Dowe was the first female fire lookout stationed at Devil’s Head, where she served from 1919 to 1921. Dowe was hired because there was a shortage of able-bodied men brought about by World War I.
More like this story
- How a wandering farmhand from Wisconsin became an American Legion namesake
- Arizona: open roads and opportunities for African Americans
- Celebrating a Century at Grand Canyon: 1919-1929
- Fire proves challenging for early forest rangers<br>
- "Comrade, Commander:" Remembering Lillian T. Catti, Grand Canyon and Arizona's first American Legion female Post commander