The body of Eric Reddish, a 24-year old Delaware man, was recovered from below Mather Point last week, following what investigators have ruled a suicide.
Rangers found the body 300 feet below the rim early on Monday, April 2, following a report from mule wranglers that they'd seen a steady light below the rim as they ascended the South Kaibab Trail before dawn.
The body was located at about 9 a.m. and removed shortly afterward by helicopter.
According to park spokesperson Maureen Oltrogge, personal items left at the scene indicated that Reddish was suicidal and went over the edge intentionally.
The body was transferred to the Coconino County Medical Examiners Office in Flagstaff, where the ruling of death by suicide was made.
It is unknown if the light reported by the mule wranglers was associated with this incident.
More like this story
- Identification made of man reported over the edge at Grand Canyon
- Body retrieved from 700 feet below canyon rim identified
- Park Rangers recovered body from below rim of Grand Canyon near Lookout Studio
- Body of California man recovered after fall near South Kaibab Trailhead
- Rangers respond to report of someone over the edge at Grand Canyon