GRAND CANYON, Ariz. — The Kaibab Suspension Bridge, also called the Black Bridge, will close to foot traffic while trail crews replace wood decking and tread boards.
Mules will still be able to cross the bridge, but all foot traffic will need to follow detours. The Black Bridge is one of two footbridges that crosses the Colorado River near Phantom Ranch.
The bridge will be closed to hikers between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Oct. 17-25 and from Oct. 31 through Nov. 7.
South Kaibab Trail users will follow a detour to and from the Silver Suspension Bridge using the Colorado River Trail. Signs and park staff will provide directions. Hikers will be able to cross the bridge when crews are not working.
The work on the Black Bridge replaces decking and tread boards, which over time have become rutted, making the walking surface uneven. NPS trail crews last replaced the decking and boards in 2006.
More like this story
- NPS to repair Indian Garden Pump House and Black Bridge
- Black Bridge to be closed for repairs
- Colorado River Trail closed as rockslide repairs continue
- Colorado River Trail reopens to foot traffic after repairs
- Repair and maintenance to temporarily closes Ribbon Falls Bridge in Grand Canyon National Park