KINGMAN, Ariz. — A man awaiting sentencing in the death of an 8-year-old Bullhead City girl says he wants to withdraw his plea.
Justin James Rector had pleaded guilty in December to first-degree murder after deciding to represent himself in the case. Authorities say Isabella Grogan-Cannella had been strangled in September 2014. Grogan-Cannella has family that lives in the Tusayan and Grand Canyon area.
Rector wrote a brief note to the judge saying the plea agreement was unjust and wants a chance to explain.
A hearing was scheduled Jan. 21 in Kingman. The judge also will take up his request to delay the Jan. 30 sentencing date.
More like this story
- Judge orders evidentiary hearing for Rector after guilty plea withdrawn
- Man gets life sentence for 2014 death of Bullhead City girl
- Trial of man accused of killing Bullhead City girl delayed; hearing set for April 19
- Evidentiary hearing on track for man accused of killing 8-year-old girl
- Justin Rector sentenced to life for 2014 death of Bella Grogan-Cannella